Nước chấm [noo-ahk-chahm]
A Vietnamese condiment (usually for dipping). Most of them ‘s based on NUOC MAM (fish sauce) combined with various seasonings that can include red hot chiles, garlic, lime juice, vinegar, sugar…
Here is a popular Nước chấm recipe for a lot of dishes. It can be used as dressing for some salads in Vietnamese cuisine. See recipe below:
- 500 ml fish sauce (Good quality)
- 1 kg Sugar (Brown sugar or palm sugar)
- 1 liter water
- 250 ml lime juice (or rice vinegar)
- 100 gr garlic clove, peeled, finely chopped
- 100 gr (less or more) hot chili, finely chopped
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve the sugar in water, add all remaining ingredients, mix well.
- Put in a container ( jar) for further using up to 1 week (can be kept longer in fridge)
Note: depending on dishes, the individual ingredient amount can be changed more or lesser.