BÁNH BỘT LỌC LÁ or BÁNH BỘT LỌC GÓI is very popular, is a traditional dish, originated from HUẾ (Vietnam). It look like TAMALE, but it is cooked with TAPIOCA flour, prawn and pork belly wrapped in banana leaves, to create delicious flavor. It is served with fish sauce and crushed hot chile. (But, sugar, lime juice, garlic will be added in dip – in south of Vietnam).
- 600 gr tapioca starch (flour) (called BỘT NĂNG hay BỘT KHOAI MÌ TINH)
- 800 ml water
- 1 tsp Salt, 2 tbsp Sugar, 1 tbsp cooking oil
* Inner (stuffing):
- 400 gr prawn (small size, peeled or unpeeled)
- 300 gr pork belly, small dices
- 2 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
- 5 tbsp achiote seed oil (optional)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped shallot
* For Dip:
- Fish sauce
- Sliced hot chile
Banana leaves and string for wrap
- Make stuffing: Heat the sauteing pan on medium heat, put cooking oil, sweat the garlic, shallot a few seconds, add pork, prawns, saute a couple minutes, add sugar, fish sauce, achiote seed oil, adjust seasoning to taste. Take off from heat, set aside.
- In a pot, put 800 ml water, 600 gr tapioca flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp cooking oil, Use wooden spatula to stir well. Put pot on heat, slowly cook and keep stirring until the flour mixture get thickeness. Take off from heat, let it cool down.
- Clean the banana leaves, (cut into size: 15 cm x 10 cm) put a full spoon of dough on banana leaf, spread out enough portion, put cooked prawn and pork in middle (see picture)
- Wrap and tie them up, make sure pork and prawn are in side of flour mixture.
- Arrange BÁNH BỘT LỌC in steamer, Steam them about 20 to 25 minutes. Served warm or room temperature as appetizer with dip (It is simple, Sliced or crushed hot chile is added in fish sauce – or NUOC CHAM can be used as dip – See NUOC CHAM recipe).
Note: Ratio of flour and water can be adjust to get more chewy or less. You can try: 4 WATER : 3 TAPIOCA FLOUR.