Vietnamese pasta dish. Nui is made by rice flour, like MACARONI. “Xào” means STIR-FRY, “BÒ” means BEEF, so this dish means STIR-FRIED MACARONI WITH BEEF. The BEEF can be minced or sliced or diced, then marinated with some salt, pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce. The NUI (Vietnamese MACARONI) is cooked like normal cooking PASTA, then stir-fried with BEEF, tomato wedges onion wedges and tomato sauce (or tomato paste). This dish is very popular in Vietnam for any meal in a day (Breakfast, lunch or dinner or supper).
Ingredients (for 2 serves):
- 300 gr Macaroni, cooked as package instructions
- 200 gr sliced beef (tender part)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic (1/2 tbsp for marinade, 1/2 tbsp for stir frying)
- 2 tbsp chopped shallot (1 tbsp for marinade, 1 tbsp for stir frying)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 no ONION, cut into wedges
- 2 nos tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 50 gr Spring onion, 3 cm long cut
- 200 gr veggies (cauliflower, carrot, french beans, snow peas, …) (optional)
- Seasonings to taste: Salt, pepper, Chicken powder, Soy sauce
- Garnishing: Coriander leaves
- In mixing bowl, marinate beef with 1 tbsp cooking oil, 1/2 tbsp chopped garlic, 1 tbsp chopped shallot, cornstarch, 1 tbsp soy sauce or to taste, 1 tsp chicken powder or to taste, let stand about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni as package instructions. (In a small pot, put water, add some salt and 2 tbsp cooking oil, bring to a boil, add macaroni, stir occasionally, cook a bout 6 to 7 minutes or AL DENTE, let the water is drained off, keep aside).
- Cut the veggies as you like, blanch the vegetable in boiling water, then refresh in ice water.
- In sauteing pan, with medium heat, put 1 tbsp cooking oil, add tomato paste, fry 1 to 2 minutes, add macaroni, stir fry to get a color. keep warm.
- In wok on high heat, put 1 tbsp cooking, (smoky stage now) add 1 tbsp chopped shallot, 1/2 tbsp chopped garlic, add beef and wok fry quickly (not burnt) to flambe, add onion wedges, tomato, veggies, wok fry about 2 to 3 minutes, or beef is medium rare cooked.
- Add macaroni, wok fry a few minutes or everythings are cooked through. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, soy sauce.
- Put in serving plate, garnish some coriander leaves and serve.