Bún gạo xào or Fried rice vermicelli is a Vietnamese fried noodle dish, consisted many kinds of vegetable, meat, seafood, bean curd, … or without meat for vegetarian people. To cook this dish, the rice vermicelli is soaked in water first, then let the water is drained off, then it is wok-fried with other ingredients, such as garlic chive, bean sprouts, carrots, choy sum, cauliflower, meat (pork or chicken, sometimes beef, pork liver, chicken gizzard, heart, …), seafood (Prawn, squid, …). Bún gạo xào is very popular in Vietnam and can be served in any meals in a day as main course.
Ingredients (for 4 serves):
- 450 gr Dried rice vermicelli
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 1/2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 200 gr sliced meat (pork, beef or chicken as you like)
- 12 nos tiger prawn, peeled, deveined, tail on
- 200 gr squid fillet, flower cut (optional)
- 100 gr fried bean curd, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 no carrot, peeled, cut julienne or thinly sliced
- 100 gr cauliflower or broccoli, florist cut (optional)
- some wood ear mushroom, julienne cut (optional)
- 100 gr choy sum, cut 5 cm long
- 50 gr Mung bean sprouts
- 50 gr garlic chives
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, soy sauce, sugar, oyster sauce
- Garnishing: Hành phi (fried shallot – available in Asian shops), cilantro, sliced chilli, roasted peanuts (crushed).
- Condiments: Soy sauce, sliced chilli, Chilli sauce
- For noodles: Soak the rice vermicelli in warm water 5 to 10 minutes then let the water drained off. Set aside. (or cooked as package instruction).
- Meanwhile, in boiling water, blanch the vegetables (excepted sprouts and garlic chives if they are used), seafood then keep them aside.
- Heat the wok on blowing gas-stove until very hot, add cooking oil and tilt the wok for the oil coated all inside wok so that the food is not stick in the wok when cooking, (smoky on this stage), add chopped onion, chopped garlic (not be burnt), quickly add meat and seafood, wok fry to flambé 1 to 2 minutes, add blanched veggies, fried bean curds and continuing wok fry 2 minutes, add rice vermicelli and stir until every things cooked thoroughly, add sprouts, garlic chives, fry in a few seconds, add seasonings to taste.
- Put the fried rice vermicelli in serving plate, garnish with fried shallots, crushed peanuts, cilantro, and served immediately with condiments.
- For more colorful, you can make egg omelet, then cut into julienne, put on top of noodle.
- Try more different taste, add tomato ketchup or chilli sauce (to taste) to finish cooking.
- Mix a little sugar into soy sauce for condiments.