Notice: Undefined index: sfsi_original_counts in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-social-media-icons/libs/controllers/sfsiocns_OnPosts.php on line 45
As you have known what is PHỞ! PHỞ GÀ is another PHỞ that is well known in Vietnam beside PHỞ BÒ. With a clear broth and chicken flavored with special spices and herbs, It will make you mouthwatering especially in winter season.
Ingredients (for 4 serves)
- 1 kg chicken bones
- 1 whole chicken (1.2 kg to 1.5 kg), washed
- 2 nos onion, halved
- 1 no ginger (3 cm), peeled
- 2 nos black cardamom (Vietnamese: Thảo quả)
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 5 cm cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 5 white peppercorn, crushed
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, fish sauce, chicken booster, Rock sugar
- 500 gr rice noodle (Vietnamese: Bánh phở) or Dried rice noodle, cooked as package instructions
- Cooked chicken meat (boneless), shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces (Method as step 4)
- Lime leaves, thinly sliced
- Scallions, thinly sliced
- Onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh herbs: Vietnamese basil, Culantro, Cilantro
Condiments: Lime wedges, sliced chilli, Vietnamese basil, Mung bean sprouts, Culantro
- Wash chicken bones: In stock pot, add cold water and chicken bones, bring to a boil. Boil the chicken bones about 1 to 2 minutes. Take them out, wash carefully under running water. Throw off the water.
- Cooking broth: Put washed chicken bones back to the pot, add whole chicken and cold water (about 1.5 liters), bring to a boil, then simmering. Skimming occasionally. It takes about 1 to 2 hours to finish.
- Meanwhile, In a hot pan or salamander, grill the onion halves, gingers and spices (Coriander seeds, Cinnamon, Cloves, Black cardamom, Star anise, white peppercorn) to get dark brown in color, wrap them in cheesecloth, add in stock pot.
- Take chicken out when it is cooked (not over cooked), let it is cool down, debone and cut into bite-sized pieces or shred as desired. Keep warm.
- Strain chicken stock to another pot, throw off the solids. Bring stock to the boil, adjust seasoning.
- Serving: Blanch the noodle in boiling water, put into serving bowls with cooked chicken meat, ladle very hot broth to cover them, garnish with sliced lime leaves, sliced onion, scallions, cilantro, basil, served with condiments.
Note: Mung bean sprouts can be blanched or raw (more crunchy) as you like. Or put under the noodle before pouring hot broth into bowl.