MÌ (or MÌ TRỨNG) is Vietnamese word for egg noodle. XÀO is “wok-frying” method or verb for “WOK FRY“. THẬP CẨM is a mixture of meat, seafood, vegetables that they are available in season. In this noodle dish, the meat is usually sliced pork meat, pork liver, pork heart. Seafood: tiger prawn, squid. Vegetables: carrots, choysum, straw mushroom, cauliflower, tomato. (or any things as you like).
MÌ XÀO THẬP CẨM can be served as main course any time for BREAKFAST, LUNCH or DINNER. It is very popular in Vietnam, especially in Saigon (southern Vietnam). You can find this dish in menu of any restaurants, even in street shop. To cook this noodle, they use a wok with blowing flame, so the heat is very high. Chef need a skill to shake the wok and flambé when cooking.
RECIPE (for 2 serves):
- 450 gr egg noodle (or enough for 2 serves)
- 50 gr pork loin, sliced thinly
- 6 nos tiger prawn, peeled, tail on, deveined
- 50 gr squids, pineapple cuts
- 50 gr each of pork liver and pork heart, thinly sliced
- 50 gr straw mushroom, washed, cut into 1/2
- 50 gr carrot, peeled, flower sliced
- 50 gr choy sum cut 5 cm long, 50 gr wombok, sliced
- 1 no tomato, cut wedges
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic, chopped shallot
- 2 tbsp cooking oil for wok fry or more
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour dissolved in 50 ml water or enough for thicken sauce
- Seasoning (to taste): Salt, pepper, sugar, chicken powder, soy sauce (Vietnamese: nước tương), sesame oil, oyster sauce
- Garnish: Cilantro, sliced spring onion, some sliced chilli
- Soak the egg noodle in water about 10 minutes, drain off water, set aside. (or cook as package instruction).
- Meanwhile, blanch the vegetables in boiling water (but not over cooked), then refresh in ice water. This method makes the veggies looks nice in color and crunchy.
- Blanch the sliced meat, liver, heart, prawn, squid quickly in boiling water, just cooked, and set aside.
- Heat the wok on blowing gas-stove until very hot, add cooking oil and tilt the wok for the oil coated all inside wok so that the food is not stick in the wok when cooking, add egg noodle and quickly shake the wok and fry noodle about 1 to 2 minutes, seasoning the noodle with some salt and soy sauce lightly. Transfer the fried noodle to 2 serving plates, keep warm aside.
- Use the same wok, heat up 1 tbsp oil on very high heat (smoky on this stage), add garlic, shallot, (not be burnt), quickly add meat (including pork liver, heart) and seafood, wok fry to flambé 1 to 2 minutes, add veggies and continuing wok fry 2 minutes more or every things cooked thoroughly. Seasoning with oyster sauce, soy sauce, chicken powder. Put this stuff on the noodle (2 plates).
- Use the same wok (do not wash), add 100 ml chicken stock, bring to a boil, stir in corn flour to thicken (not to thick), add sesame oil, adjust seasoning, then lightly pour on top of meat seafood mixture to moist them, garnish with some cilantro, cracked peppercorn from mill and sliced chilli, then serve immediately.