BÚN CHẢ (Vietnamese: [ɓǔn tɕa᷉ː]) is a Vietnamese dish of grilled pork (belly and minced pork) (CHẢ) and rice noodle (BÚN), which is thought to have originated from Hanoi, Vietnam. BÚN CHẢ is served with grilled fatty pork (chả) over a plate of white rice noodle (bún) and herbs with a side dish of dipping sauce. The dish was described in 1959 by Vietnamese food writer Vu Bang (1913–1984) who described Hanoi as a town “transfixed by bún chả.” Hanoi’s first bún chả restaurant was on Gia Ngư, Hoàn Kiếm District, in Hanoi’s Old Quarter.
Bún chả originated and remains very popular in Hanoi. Outside Hanoi, across all regions of Vietnam, a similar dish of rice vermicelli and grilled meat called BÚN THỊT NƯỚNG is alternately served.
- 600 gr pork belly, sliced thinly
- 600 gr minced pork (shoulder part)
- Bamboo or metal skewers (optional)
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 tbsp Minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Minced shallot
- 2 tbsp Minced lemongrass
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp peppercorn powder
- 2 tbsp Booster or 1 tsp MSG (optional)
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp shrimp sauce
- 1 tbsp molasses (Substitute: kecap manis sedang/ABC)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 50 ml coke (Optional)
For dip (Vietnamese: Mước chấm):
- 100 ml Fish sauce
- 250 ml Water
- 150 gr Sugar
- 150 ml lime juice or Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp Chopped chilli
- 1 no carrot, peeled, cut into flowers
- 1 no white radish, cut into flowers
- 1/2 no young pawpaw, peeled, sliced thinly
- 50 gr sugar
- 30 ml vinegar
- 200 ml water
- 600 gr BÚN or 1 pack (450 gr) Dried rice vermicelli (Bún khô) cooked as package instruction
- Condiments: Vietnamese fresh herbs (sweet mint, pepper mint, fish mint, Vietnamese basil, Vietnamese balm, Perilla,…), butterhead lettuce, cucumber
- In a mixing bowl, add all marinade ingredients, mix them well then divide into 2 parts.
- Marinate sliced pork belly with one part of marinade then put them on skewers (Soak the bamboo skewers in water a bout 15 to 20 minutes before put the meat on), then keep in fridge about 30 minutes or longer.
- Mix another part of marinade with minced meat then make into small patties.
- Preparing dip: In mixing bowl, dissolve sugar with water, add lime juice (or rice vinegar), fish sauce, mix them well then add chopped garlic and chopped chilli to finish. This sauce you can make in advance, can be kept a couple week in fridge.
- Preparing pickle: In mixing bowl, dissolve sugar with water, add vinegar, mix them well, add sliced vegetable (Carrot, white radish, young pawpaw). This step you can do one week in advance, keep in fridge.
- For serving: Barbecue the skewers and patties on charcoal griller until cooked thoroughly, then served immediately with BÚN (rice vermicelli), dip, pickle, and condiments.
Note: You can put pickle and cooked meat patties into dip or keep them separately and served.