Zamarod Palaw/Pulao (Rice with spinach) is popular Afghan Pulao Rice Recipe. It’s an ethnic Afghan dish and served in most city centres. Its served in Afghan parties, weddings, and gatherings.
- 900 gr Basmati Rice
- 2 bunches Spinach
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground – As needed
- salt – As needed
- 1/2 cup Canola oil
- Wash the spinach and let it drain completely, then clean it with kitchen towel. Heat oil and cook the spinach, stir constantly for a couple of minutes. Remove from burner, blend the spinach well in blender, then strain it through a sieve.
- Wash and soak the rice in advance for 4-5 hours.
- Boil the rice in water and salt, do not over cook it, remove from heat and drain.
- Pour the rice in deep pot then add salt and little water to the spinach and slowly mix it to the rice to avoid breakage of rice.
- Sprinkle the cumin, Make little holes around the rice using back of spatula then cover the pot with cotton cloth and let it steam and cook for 20 minutes on low flame.
- Remove from heat and heat some oil when its so hot sprinkle all over the rice, cover the pot again and let it cook for 5 minutes. Ready to serve.