Notice: Undefined index: sfsi_original_counts in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-social-media-icons/libs/controllers/sfsiocns_OnPosts.php on line 45
PITA ([ˈpɪtə] or US: [ˈpiːtə]) in Greek, sometimes spelled PITTA (mainly UK), also known as Arabic bread, Lebanese bread, or Syrian bread. It is also called POCKET BREAD, this Middle Eastern FLAT BREAD can be made of white or whole-wheat flour. Each pita round splits horizontally to form a pocket into which a wide variety of ingredients can be stuffed to make a sandwich. Throughout the Middle East, pitas are served with meals or cut into wedges and used as dippers for dishes such as BABA GHANOUSH and HUMMUS. Pita bread is available in Middle Eastern markets and in most supermarkets.
Whole Wheat Pita Bread RECIPE:
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1.75 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1.75 cups all purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in water for about 5 minutes in the bowl of an electric mixer, watch for yeast to bubble up, showing it’s active.
- Add salt and half of the flour, beat with a dough hook to make a batter. Add additional flour until a rough, shaggy mass is formed. Knead 8 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour if it is too sticky.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 pitas for medium sized pita bread.
- Form dough into balls, then flatten with a rolling pin into ¼ inch thick discs. Try and keep an even thickness as this is what helps them ‘puff’.
- Let rest on the floured surface 30-40 minutes until slightly puffed. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- With a large spatula, flip the rounds of dough upside down on to a baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes until light golden. Stick around to watch for the first five minutes of baking when the pitas perform their magic and puff up from flat pancakes to proud, four inch high pitas!
Because you’re using whole wheat flour you may need more water. If you decide to use all-purpose flour for the whole recipe, use 1/2 cup more flour than the recipe calls for.