Mì Vịt Tiềm or Duck and Egg noodles soup, It is originated from china, when migrating into Vietnam, duck noodle soup have been processed to suit the taste of Vietnamese. And now, this dish is known to be one of the famous noodle dishes in VIETNAM, especially in Chợ Lớn (Chinatown, Sài Gòn).
- 500 gr Duck legs (or breast), skin on (about 2 pcs)
- 2 tbsp Rượu đế (Vietnamese rice wine) (Optional)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger (optional)
- 500 gr pork marrow-bone for cooking stock (or 1 lit pork/chicken stock)
- 300 ml fresh coconut water. (Optional)
- 500 gr egg noodles. (or enough for 2 serves), fresh, or dried egg noodle cooked as package instruction
- 200 gr choy sum, or baby bok choy
- 100 gr Shiitake / black Chinese mushrooms (Vietnamese: Nấm đông cô)
- 3 cm Ginger, Peeled, bruised
- Spices: Cloves, Star anise, Cinnamon, Cam thảo (Glycyrrhiza uralensis), Trần bì (dried tangerine peels or Chenpi)
- Seasonings: soy sauce, chicken booster, salt, pepper, sugar
- Sliced Spring onion, Cilantro, sliced chilli for garnishing
- Wash the bones in boiling water a few minutes, then put bones into soup pot along with cold water (about 1.5 to 2 liters) to cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer. This step takes about 1 hour or more to get perfect stock. (Forget this process if you have ready-in-used pork stock)
- Meanwhile, In a hot pan, grill the bruised ginger, spices until brown in color and fragrance smell. Then add in stock pot.
- Preparing duck: Rub the duck with rice wine and minced ginger, and then marinate with some soy sauce, sugar, pepper, chicken booster, let stand about 20 minutes.
- Fry or deep fry duck in hot oil until skin is golden brown. Add in stock pot. Cook until duck is soft.
- For Mushroom: wash and soak mushroom in water about 0.5 hour or more, then boil them with some gingers, onion until soft. Then put into stock pot with bones and duck. (this process can be cooked in advance)
- Cook the noodles as package instruction if using dried egg noodles.
- Wash and cut choy sum into 3 cm length, blanch in boiling water then put into iced water to keep their color.
- Add coconut water (if using) and seasonings (soy sauce, chicken booster, salt, pepper, sugar) to taste.
- Serving: Blanch egg noodles in boiling water, then put into serving bowl. Assemble cooked duck leg/breast and cooked choy sum, mushrooms, ladle very hot broth to cover, and garnish some spring onion, cilantro, sliced chilli and serve hot. Pickled green pawpaw can be served with this dish as well.
Note: For cut down cooking time or simple cooking, roasted duck can be used. You can buy roasted duck in Chinatown or Asian market.