Lamb Korma [kor-mah]
Popular in India and Pakistan, KORMA is a spicy curried dish of mutton, lamb or chicken, usually with the addition of onions and sometimes other vegetables.
RECIPE: (For 4 servings)
- 500 g lamb
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 black peppercorns, crushed
- 4 green cardamoms, crushed
- 3 cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 500 ml water
- 2 tablespoons green coriander
- Cut lamb meat into small cubes.
- Blend 2 chopped onions, garlic and ginger in a blender alongwith adding a little water.
- Heat ghee in a saucepan.
- Add one chopped onion and fry till it becomes pale golden in colour.
- Add crushed spices, salt and meat.
- Fry for 8 minutes to a rich brown colour.
- Add the blended mixture and fry for 10 minutes.
- Add the chilli and corriander powders and yoghurt.
- Fry the mixture until ghee separates.
- Add water, mix well, cover with a lid and simmer for one hour until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve hot sprinkled with corriander leaves.
- Goes well with roti, naan or rice.