Originated from northern Vietnam, BÚN THANG is a familiar dish of Hanoians, many people like this dishes. Because the taste of broth is very sweet, strong, clear and aromatic smell of dried shrimp and squid makes the dish is very specific and delicious taste. Many people think that it will be difficult to cook this dish, however, with the recipe below, we will easily enjoy the BÚN THANG right at home.
This noodle soup is cooked with shredded chicken meat, shredded fried egg, shredded steam pork cake, and various vegetables.
Ingredients (For 3 – 4 serves):
- 500 gr Pork marrow-bones
- 100 gr dried shrimps, Soaked in water about 20 minutes, drained, saute a couple minutes till fragrant
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 white radish, peeled, cut into mirepoix (coarsely cut)
- 1 no small dried squid, toasted
- 3 cm ginger, grilled brown in color
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, Chicken booster, Fish sauce, Rock sugar
- 1 kg fresh rice noodle (Bún) or dried rice noodle (Bún khô) cooked as package directions.
- 100 gr Vietnamese sausage (giò lụa), cut into julienne (Match sticks). (If you can’t find, mortadella can be substituted)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 duck eggs (or chicken eggs)
- 200 gr tiger prawns, peeled, deveined, coarsely pounded
- 100 gr Shiitake mushroom (or 3 nos per serve), Soaked in water about 30 minutes
- 100 gr Salted white radish, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp vinegar
- Sliced scallion, Rau răm (Persicaria odorata), Fried shallot
- Shrimp sauce, Lime wedges, Sliced chile
- Wash the bones: In a pot, add bones and cold water, then bring to a boil. Boiling about 2 to 3 minutes. Take bones out, then wash them under runing water.
- Cooking broth: Put the washed bones into stock pot, add 1 to 1.5 liters cold water, and add toasted ginger, sauted dried shrimps, toasted quid, onion halves. Bring to a boil, then simmering about 2 to 3 hours. Seasoning with salt, pepper, sugar, booster, fish sauce.
- In small pot, cook mushroom until soft (or cooked in broth)
- In a pan, saute pounded prawn briefly, just cooked, keep warm
- Wash salted radish, slice thinly, put into a small bowl, then add in a little sugar and vinegar or to taste.
- Wash the chicken breasts, put into stock pot, until cooked, take them out, shredded, keep warm.
- Break the eggs, seasonings, then make omelete, and cut the omelete into julienne (thinly slices). keep warm.
- Cook the dried rice noodle as package directions if using.
- Blanch the noodle in boiling water, put into serving bowl.
- Arrange on top noodle with: shredded chicken, sausage juliennes, shredded egg omelete, cooked prawn, salted radish and cooked mushrooms.
- Ladle very hot broth to cover.
- Garnish with sliced chili and herbs
- Served with condiments: Shrimp sauce, Lime wedges, Sliced chile