BATA or BATHA, an Afghan rice dish is cooked with water and acquires a sticky consistency. It is usually eaten with a QORMA/KOMAR, such as SABZI (spinach) or SHALGHAM (turnips). With the addition of stock, meat, herbs, and grains, more eeri Qoroot, and Shola. A sweet rice dish called Shir Birenj (literally milk rice) is often served as dessert.
- 500 gr short or medium grain rice
- 50 ml cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- water (about 1 liter or 4 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash the rice with cold water, and soak for a couple hours, then drain off the water.
- In a pot, heat the oil and saute onion until light brown.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and salt and boil until rice is par-cooked.
- Reduce the heat. Cover and seal the pot with tea towel or cotton cloth lid, and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes.