ASHAK, also spelled AUSHAK [Pashto/Farsi: اَشَک], is an Afghan dish made of pasta dumplings filled with Chinese chives (scallions), with a (frequently meaty) tomato sauce, topped with yogurt and dried mint. A time-consuming meal to prepare, it is usually served on holidays or at special gatherings
As recipe below, these are a really delicious dumpling with a meat sauce from Afghanistan.
RECIPE For: Spring Onion Dumplings
- Won ton skins
For Meat sauce:
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, Finely Chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, diced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
For Yogurt sauce:
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups scallion tops (Spring onions), finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons of fresh mint, chopped
- Make the dumpling filling with the scallions, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic, mixing in a bowl.
- Place this filling into wonton wrappers, pressing them into half circles.
- For the meat sauce, sauté onion until golden, then add beef, garlic, coriander, and ginger cooking until meat is cooked through. Stir in water and continue cooking at same heat for 5 minutes, before adding tomato paste and continuing to cook for a further 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finally, blend the yogurt, garlic and salt in a bowl for the yogurt sauce.
- Serve the dumplings covered with the meat sauce and a small amount of yogurt sauce and garnished with mint.
(Source from: http://www.geniuskitchen.com)