Pork and eggs stew (Vietnamese: Thịt kho tàu) or Caramelized pork and eggs, is a Vietnamese traditional dish consisting of marinated pork and boiled eggs (usually duck eggs) stewed in fish sauce and coconut water with some other ingredients.
Although it is a normal everyday dish, in southern Vietnam. it is one of the traditional foods during TẾT (Vietnamese New Year or lunar new year). In TẾT, before the dish is served for general consumption, the dish is offered to deceased ancestors or family members on altars.
Meat (from belly, leg, Shoulder) is used in this dish. After marinated with some chopped shallot, chopped garlic, sugar, fish sauce, salt, pepper and maybe molasses, …, Meat will be covered with coconut water and some seasonings then stewed until caramelized and soft. Boiled eggs will be added in about 15 to 20 minutes before finishing. It is delicious when served with white rice and Dưa Giá (Garlic chive and bean sprouts pickle). It is also served like wrap/roll by wrapping cooked meat, cut egg, pickle, rice noodle- bún tươi- in rice paper, then dip in its sauce and enjoy!! so yummy
In Southern Vietnam, This dish is very popular in most of restaurants or family meals in any day. And now, you also can find this dish in Vietnamese restaurant’s menu around the world where have Vietnamese community.
- 2 kg pork belly, cut into cube 50cmX50cm or bigger
- 24 nos egg (Chicken, Quail or Duck)
- 1 liter coconut water
- 1.8 liters fresh water
- 3 nos shallot, peeled
- 3 nos garlic clove, peeled
- 1 no hot chilli (optional)
- 5 gr molasses
- 130 ml fish sauce
- 120 gr palm sugar (or rock sugar), crushes
- Seasonings: salt, cracked peppercorns, 20 gr pork booster (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Using Mortar and Pestle to grind the garlic cloves, shallots and chilli until a paste is obtained.
- In mixing bowl, put pork cubes, paste (made as step 1), molasses, fish sauce, sugar and some pork booster (optional), marinate about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, boil the eggs about 10 to 12 minutes, cool down, then peel eggs. (add some salt and vinegar into water, it will be easy to peel the eggs).
- On medium heat, put 2 tablespoon oil into shallow pot (enough to contain pork meat), saute the marinated pork cubes, about 5 minutes or when they are sealed. Add coconut water, water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to simmer. (do not cover the pot). Skimming occasionally.
- Simmering the meat about 1 hr to 2 hours or until meat cubes are soft and liquid turns to lightly brown color. Add boiled eggs in about 20 minutes before finishing. (Eggs will be too hard if cooked too long).
- This dish is served with steamed rice and sometime garlic chive and bean sprout pickle (Vietnamese: Dưa Giá). (see recipe below)
Garlic chive and bean sprout pickle:
- 400 gr mung bean sprouts (Vietnamese: Giá đậu/đổ)
- 100 gr Garlic chives (Vietnamese: Hẹ)
- 1 no carrot, peeled, cut into julienne
- 4 nos shallots (Củ hành tím), peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 nos hot red chili (ớt sừng), sliced
- Seasonings: Salt, sugar, Vinegar to taste
- Fresh water enough to cover
- In a glass jar (airtight) (do not use plastic or metal jar), dissolve sugar, salt in vinegar water.
- Put all vegetables in to jar, cover and keep about 1 day in room temperature.
- Take them out, drain and serve as a side dish or accompany with egg and pork stew