Vietnamese chicken curry or Cà ri gà is a popular Vietnamese curry made with chicken, sweet potatoes (or potatoes, taro), and some vegetables as carrots, peas, … in a coconut curry gravy. It is also served with rice, rice noodle (bún tươi) or bánh mì (Vietnamese baguette) and lime wedges/juice, chili salt and Vietnamese basil. Cà ri gà is originated from India, when migrated into Vietnam has been processed to suite the taste of Vietnamese. The taste is sweeter than its origin.
- 1 no Chicken (Free range chicken, about 1.5 kg), cut into big pieces (12 pcs)
- 500 gr sweet potatoes (or potato, taro). Peeled, cut into big pieces
- juice from 500 gr grated coconut or 1 can (450ml) coconut milk and 1 can (450ml) coconut cream.
- 2 nos Onion, cut into wedges
- 1 no carrot, peeled cut into big pieces (optional)
- 1 pck (50 gr) Viet-An curry powder. (Bột cà ri Việt Ấn)
- 2 jar (jar 50gr) Viet-An curry paste (cà ri dầu Việt ấn)
- 10 stalks of lemongrass, bruised
- 2 nos curry leaves
- 4 nos Shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsps fish sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsps chicken booster (optional)
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, sugar (or 2 tbsps), to taste
- Marinate chicken with: curry powder, turmeric powder, shallot, garlic, lemongrass and seasonings, keep about 30 minutes
- In a wide pot on medium heat, put in 2 tbsp cooking oil, saute marinated chicken until they are sealed. take about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix 500 gr grated coconut with 500 ml warm water, squeeze and strain coconut juice through cheesecloth to get coconut cream, set a side. Do this process again with 1 liter warm water to get coconut milk. (forget these process if you use canned coconut milk/cream)
- Add coconut milk to the chicken, bring to a boil then turn down heat to simmer. About 1 to 2 hours or until cooked as desired. Skim occasionally.
- 15 to 20 minutes before finishing, add potatoes, carrot (optional), add onion wedges, coconut cream to finish. Adjust seasoning and serve hot with bread or Bún tươi (Fresh rice vermicelli) or steamed rice with condiments: lime wedges, chili salt, garnishing with vietnamese basil.
Notes: If you can not find Viet-An curry powder or curry paste, Chicken curry powder (Ayam curry powder or any Brand) will be substituted, they are available in almost Asian shops