In Sri Lankan fish curry, green chili and coconut milk are used to give a creamy or milkfish taste. Any fish type can be used for the same recipe.
Ingredients: (for 3-4 servings)
- 8 – 10 Small Fish (or any other fish enough for 3-4 people)
- ½ medium sized onion sliced
- 2-3 green chilies sliced
- 1 tsp Black peppercorn
- 1 piece of goraka (gamboge – Garcinia atroviridis) or lime juice
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Piece of Rampe (Pandan leaf)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 inch Piece of cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 cup thin coconut milk
- 1-2 tsp more lime juice
- Wash and clean fish.
- In a pan, add all the spices together with, goraka, onion, green chili & curry leaves.
- Mix all and add thin coconut milk.
- Cook in low flame till fish is well cooked. Cook about 10 minutes.
- When fish is well cooked, add thick coconut milk.
- Stir continuously and cook in very low flame till coconut milk starts boiling.
- Also adjust salt to taste. When coconut milk starts boiling, switch off the stove. Continuously stir for another few minutes till the curry cools down. This will avoid any lumps of coconut milk.
- White fish curry is ready to serve. If you like; add few drops of lime juice and that will enhance the flavor of the fish curry.