A popular chilled yogurt drink in India, which can also be made with buttermilk or extra-rich milk. Lassi is like a healthy MILK SHAKE, the thickness of which depends on the ratio of yogurt to water. Thick LASSI is made with four parts yogurt to one part water and/or crushed ice. Lassi can be flavored variously with salt, mint, cumin, sugar, fruit or fruit juices – even spicy additions such as ground chiles, fresh ginger or garlic. The ingredients are all placed in a blender and processed until the mixture is light and frothy.
- 2 cups, Curd, chilled, thick and beaten smooth (yogurt)
- 100 ml Milk, chilled or water
- 2 heaped tbsps Sugar or honey
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 4 Pistachios, finely chopped (or 2 almonds)
- 1/4 tsp Rose water (optional)
- Use only thick curd and with the help of a strainer drain out excess water from the curd before beating it.
- With the help of a traditional buttermilk churner, beat the thick curd till smooth and frothy.
- Add chilled milk, cardamom powder, sugar or honey and churn till frothy.
- Pour into serving glasses, garnish with chopped pistachios and serve.