Laksam, also known in Thailand as Lasae (Thai: ละแซ), a specialty of the Northeastern Malaysian states of Kelantan, Terengganu and Kedah, is made with very thick flat white rice flour noodles in a rich, full-bodied white gravy of boiled fish and coconut milk. Though usually made of fish flesh, it is sometimes made with eels. Traditionally Laksa is eaten with hands rather than with eating utensils due to the gravy’s thick consistency.
LAKSAM KELANTAN RECIPE:
Ingredients for the laksam itself:
- 2 cups of wheat flour
- 2 cups of rice flour
- 2 cups of water
- salt to taste
Procedure of cooking laksam:
- In a bowl, mix wheat flour, rice flour, water and salt (henceforth I named it as laksam mixture)
- Stir it to ensure all ingredients are mixed well
- Heat steamer
- Using a pot cover (small cover pot that can fit into the steamer), pour one ladle of laksam mixture
- Wait for only 2-3 minutes or so for it to be cooked
- Once you remove the cover pot from the steamer, place it on a table. It’s time to fold the laksam. using your fingers and a spoon to fold it. Be extra careful because it is really hot, folding the laksam while it is still hot.
Ingredients for laksam’s gravy :
- 1/2 kg or a kilo of fish (of any type)
- 200 ml of santan (COCONUT MILK)
- salt to taste
- 1 onion and a couple of garlic
Procedure for cooking the gravy for laksam:
- Steam or boil the fish. If you boil the fish, don’t throw the water. You’ll need it to mix it with the fish later
- Debone the fish
- In a blender, put the fish you’ve already debone. Add water (recommended in no. 1)
- Use sieve to sift the fish and bones
- Concerning the bones, don’t just throw it like that. Instead, blend it altogether so that you can add also it in the gravy. It’s much tastier. So, you need to sieve and sieve until you really sure that it is really VERY FINE.
- In a plate, cut laksam using scissor. You may need 2-3 roles of laksam for one serving
- Pour a ladle or two of kuah laksam onto it
- Spread, cabbage or cucumber, belacan (shrimp paste) and grind chilies on it. Alternatively you may use long beans as well.