Notice: Undefined index: sfsi_original_counts in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-social-media-icons/libs/controllers/sfsiocns_OnPosts.php on line 45
Kuih Spera is something similar of Curry puff. It has the same dough, deep fried to a nice golden crust but with different filling which consist of shredded coconut, dried prawns, dried chillies and spices like galangal, coriander seeds, turmeric and fennel. One could taste burst of flavours with every bite.
For Filling :
- 150g shredded dried coconut
- 40g dried shrimps
- 150g shallots
- 10 pcs dried chillies
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 10g galangal
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon of coconut cream
- ½ to 1 cup of water
- 500g plain flour
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 95g margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 250ml cold water
Oil for deep frying
- In preparing the filling (Step 1 – 5), first, blend chilies, spices, shallots, dried shrimps into a paste.
- Heat about 3 tablespoon of oil and sauté until fragrant.
- Add shredded coconut, coconut cream, water and salt.
- Stir well and cook until liquid evaporated and the coconut mixture is slightly on the ‘moist’ side.
- Set aside to cool.
- Now, moving on to the dough till ready to serve (Step 6 onwards), mix flour, egg and salt in a mixing bowl into breadcrumbs consistency.
- Add margarine and again mix into breadcrumbs.
- Mix in water bit by bit until everything bind together into a dough.
- Rest the dough for at least an hour.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts.
- Roll out using a rolling pin maintaining a rectangular shape…to thickness of approximately 2mm.
- Roll up from the long end… maintaining a tight roll (like making Swiss roll).
- Cut into 12 discs.
- Flatten each disc approximately 2mm thickness and add 1 tablespoon of filling.
- Pinch the edges and crimp.
- Heat about 2 cups of oil in a wok.
- On a medium heat, deep fry the Spera until golden in colour.
- Dish out onto kitchen paper.