Hủ tiếu Mỹ Tho is one of the most famous noodle soup, originated in Tien Giang province, southern Vietnam. The ingredients must be chosen, prepared and processed carefully. The rice noodle threads is special because the characteristic toughness of the noodles can only be made from the famous Gò Cát rice in Tien Giang province. This is also a special point that not any noodle has this: the noodles has blanched through the boiling water is still tough and chewy. The identity of this type of noodles is not only toughness and crystal-clear of the noodles, but also in the characteristic spices added with caramelized garlic oil . My Tho noodle soup are usually served with the most popular ingredients such as lean pork meat, pig’s offals (heart, liver, ..), mung bean sprouts, garlic chives and pork broth.
- 0.800 kg marrow pork bones
- 300 gram white radish (daikon)
- 1 onion, peeled, cut into halves
- 40 gram salted white radish (Vietnamese: củ cải muối, or cải xá bấu), shredded
- 2 to 3 liters water
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, pork booster, sugar
- 500 gr minced pork
- 500 gr lean pork meat (pork loin)
- 300 gr pork liver
- 500 gr prawn (or 3 nos per serve), peeled, deveined
- 500 gr squids, washed, flower cuts
- 20 nos quail egg (or 3 nos per serve), boiled, shelled
- 100 gr vietnamese celery (Vietnamese: Rau cần ta or rau cần tàu), washed, cut 3cm
- 200 gr scallions, sliced
- 200 gr garlic chive (Vietnamese: hẹ), cut 3cm
- 300 gr mung bean sprouts
- Fried shallots
- 1kg fresh rice noodle (or dry rice noodle cooked as package instruction)
- To cook broth: like standard processing method of cooking stock, washing bones by put them into pot with cold water, bring to boil then wash the bones carefully under running water. Throw the liquid. Put bones back to the pot, add 2 to 3 liters cold water along with white radish, salted radish, onion halves then bring to boil then simmer about 3 to 4 hours, skimming occasionally. Seasoning to taste.
- For topping (pork meat, minced pork, pork liver, prawns, squids, …): Put lean pork meat, pork livers into stock pot (as the same time at step 1), until just cooked (tender as desired), take out and soak in cold water to prevent discolored and dried then thinly slice, set aside. In small pot, with boiling water, blanch squid flowers, prawns set aside. In a small pan, saute minced pork with 1 tablespoon chopped shallots, 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, seasoning with oyster sauce, sesame oil, salt, pepper, set aside.
- To serve: Blanch the noodle in boiling water, put into serving bowl with sprouts, arrange on top with sliced meat, liver, prawns, minced pork, quail eggs (all of them cooked as step 2). Ladle very hot both (boiling broth) to cover, garnish with garlic chives, sliced scallions, fried shallots, sliced chili (or pickled chili), celery then serve with condiments (mung bean sprouts, celery, sliced chili, lime wedges, …)