Terengganu laksa (Malay: Laksa Terengganu) is the easiest laksa recipe that is famous among peoples from the town of Kuala Terengganu of the Terengganu state, located at the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia. The main ingredient of Terengganu Laksa’s sauce is IKAN KEMBONG or ROUND SCAD MACKEREL that are boiled and minced. The minced fish are fried with onions, garlic, ginger, datil pepper, BELACAN, KANTAN FLOWER, VIETNAMESE CORIANDER or DAUN KESUM, LEMON GRASS and dried tamarind slice. COCONUT MILK will then be added as the final ingredient and stirred until it is all mixed up and becomes thick. Terengganu Laksa is served just like the Italian spaghetti by adding ULAM (raw vegetables) and blended chili on the side. Another variable of Terengganu Laksa is Laksam. The sauce’s recipe are exactly the same but the noodles are a bit bigger and flat.
- 1kg MACKEREL
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 grated COCONUT with enough water added and squeezed for 1.5 litres COCONUT MILK
- 1.5kg dried laksa noodles, boiled until just right to the texture or al dente (or use fresh thick rice noodles, scalded in boiling water and well drained)
Ground ingredients (A):
- 20g (22 pieces) dried chillies, soaked
- 175g SHALLOTs
- 2cm GALANGAL
- 1cm fresh TURMERIC root
- 20g ground black pepper
- 3 stalks LEMON GRASS, use the white part only
- 1cm knob GINGER
- 3 to 4 pieces dried TAMARIND skin, if not available substitute with 30g lime juice
- 8 stalks polygonum leaves (daun kesum, Rau răm, Vietnamese coriander)
- 1 to 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp sugar or to taste
- 1 tsp monosodium glutamate (MSG) (Optional)
- 1 cucumber, halved and soft centres discarded and shredded
- 200g bean sprouts, tailed and scalded briefly
- 1 WILD GINGER BUD (bunga kantan), sliced finely
- Some mint leaves
- Some basil leaves
- 5 small limes, halved
- Season fish with salt. Boil 1 litre water in a pot and drop in the fish. Remove the fish when eyes pop out. Flake the fish and leave aside.
- Strain the fish stock clean from bones and add ground ingredients (A). Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer the gravy for 10 minutes. Add ingredients (B) and pour in the coconut milk. Simmer for another 15–20 minutes, stirring frequently. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- To serve, put some thick rice noodles in individual serving dishes and garnish with a little of each garnishing ingredient, then pour the hot fish stock or gravy over.