Nasi goreng [nahg-see goh-rehng]. The Indonesian term for “fried rice”, of which there are hundreds of versions throughout Indonesia, Malaysia and the surrounding areas. The rice is cooked with various ingredients including shrimp or other shellfish, meat, chicken, eggs, onions, chiles, garlic, cucumber, peanuts and a wide array of seasonings. If noodles are substituted for rice, the dish is called BAHMI GORENG or MEE GORENG.
Ingredients ( for 2 portion)
- 10 ml cooking oil
- 2 nos eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 nos shallot, chopped
- Red chilli, chopped, to taste
- 50 gram sambal ulek
- 50 gr cooked chicken meat, dice(1cm x 1cm)
- 6 nos cooked prawn. shell off, tail on
- 100 gr dice, blanched carrot, french bean
- 2 bowl cooked white rice
- 5 ml oyster sauce (or Kecap manis if available)
- 5 gr sliced spring onion
- salt, pepper to taste
- In the very hot wok, add oil, garlic, shallot, add in prawns, chicken meat, vegetable and wok fry quickly until cook well.
- Add rice, wok fry on very strong fire. Add whipped eggs and keep sauteing well.
- Seasoning with oyster sauce, sambal ulek, pepper.
- Add spring onion to finish.
Notes: Can add a fried egg on top and serve with sliced cucumber, tomato, lettuce leaves and prawn crackers. And chicken sate topped with peanut sauce. Salted fish flakes can be added in fried rice for good tasting.
Sambal ulek RECIPE:
- 200 gr shallots, chopped
- 500 gr red chilli, seedless, chopped
- 5 gr hot chilli
- 200 gr chopped tomatoes
- 3 lime leaves
- 5 gr balacan
- 15 gr chicken powder
- 10 gr salt
- 100 ml cooking oil
- Sauté all ingredients except the lime leaves until tender and soft.
- Blend in blender until become a smooth paste
- Sauté again with lime leaves until the oil separated and the color are red.