A salad of cooked, diced or cubed potatoes mixed with other ingredients such as chopped onion, green peppers, celery, hard-cooked eggs, seasonings and a mayonnaise- or sour cream- based dressing. German potato salad, often served hot, is bound with a vinegar-bacon fat dressing.
GERMAN POTATO SALAD RECIPE:
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold or yellow potatoes, unpeeled
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar, or to taste
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until just tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and cool slightly, then peel if desired and slice into thick rounds.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to let drain. When cool enough to handle, crumble into small pieces. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon fat from the skillet, then return to medium heat. Add white onion and cook until lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together warm bacon, potatoes and white onion with oil, mustard, vinegar, green onions, salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.