BUN MANG VIT (Bún măng vịt) is a Vietnamese noodle soup, contain shredded dried-bamboo shoot and duck with rice noodle. The noodles is available in most of Asian markets. But fresh one is the best for this soup. Dried and fresh bamboo shoot can be used, but the dried one give more flavor.
- 1 duck (about 1. 1.2 kg) (ready to cook)
- 2 tbsp rice wine (rượu đế)
- 350 gr dried bamboo shoots (or 600 gr fresh bamboo shoot)
- duck blood block of 1no (Optional)
- 1kg Fresh rice noodle (Bún) or dried rice noodle cooked as package instruction
- 2 nos ginger (1 minced for rubbing, 1 crushed for soup, see method below)
- 1 no onion, peeled, cut into halves – 4 to 5 no spring onion, white parts only
- 30 gr chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Seasoning: Salt, pepper, fish sauce, sugar, chicken booster
- Garnishing: Rau răm, cilantro, sliced spring onions, fried shallots, sliced chilis, Ginger julienne
- Condiments: Rau ghém (**), Fish sauce, Lime wedges, dip (*) (See RECIPE below)
(**): RAU GHEM: is a mixture of shredded water spinach, banana flower, letuce, .. and fresh herbs (mint, basil, Vietnamese coriander, perilla, …)
(*) For DIP:
- 100 gr minced Ginger
- 50 gr finely chopped chilis
- 100 gr sugar
- 70 ml fish sauce
- 70 ml lime juice
In a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients and serve as a dip for boiled duck or chicken as well
- Wash the duck with water diluted in rice wine, 1 tbsp salt, lime juice of 1 no, then rubbing with 1 tbsp minced ginger, let stand 5 minutes, wash again with water. (This process to kill duck smelling, forget it if you think this is not necessary).
- In soup pot, put the duck with 2 ltrs water or more enough to cover the duck. Add in onion halves (or shallot), crushed ginger root, some spring onion (white part only) and 2 tsp salt.
- Bring to the boiling point, then turn down the heat to medium and simmering, skim occasionally. When the duck is cooked tender enough, take out, soak in water to prevent dried and discolored. Chop the duck into bite-sized pieces, set a side keep warm for serving
- Meanwhile, Cut the bamboo shoot (If fresh) into strips (5 cm long), wash and cook in water with 1 tsp salt until tender, drain off and set aside for next step
For DRIED BAMBOO SHOOTs (If using) you need cook longer. First, soak them in water over night or until soft enough to shred by hand. Shred into small strips (about 5cm long). Cook them in water until tender, Drain off. In a sauteing pan, saute the shredded bamboo shoot strips with 1tbsp oil, 1 tsp minced garlic, then seasoning to taste, set aside.
- Cook and cut duck blood block into cubes, set aside, keep warm (cook in the same soup pot with duck)
- For broth: Discard any solid things are put in step 2. Add shredded bamboo shoots in soup, keep simmering, adjust seasoning.
- To serve: Arrange warm noodle in serving bowl, then cooked duck, cooked duck blood cubes (Optional), ladle the very hot soup with contains to cover enough, Garnish with sliced spring onion, Vietnamese coriander, sliced chili, and serve with condiments and dip.
BAMBOO SHOOTs can be cooked in advance to cut down cooking time (can be kept till 1 week in a fridge)