This classic sauce is wonderful with fettuccine, spaghetti and in lasagne. In Italy, It’s called RAGU Alla Bolognese.
BOLOGNESE SAUCE RECIPE
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 kg premium beef mince / ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 grinds black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 140 g tomato paste
- 4 x 400g cans tomatoes in juice or 2kg fresh plum tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sugar or to taste
- 1tsp dry oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they start to soften, without browning (6-8 minutes). Transfer to a medium-sized stock pot.
- Heat remaining oil then add a quarter of the mince to the frypan and season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high so meat can brown. Use a wooden spoon to stir meat around the pan until it is broken up and no longer pink (5 minutes). Continue cooking mince in batches and transfer to the pot with the onions.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine evenly. Simmer uncovered over lowest heat for 2 hours, stirring now and then. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper as needed. Remove from heat. (If you prefer your sauce thicker, continue simmering for up to an hour longer.)