Notice: Undefined index: sfsi_original_counts in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-social-media-icons/libs/controllers/sfsiocns_OnPosts.php on line 45
Bollito misto [boh-lee-toh mees-toh]. This classic Italian dish of mixed boiled meats is particularly popular in the Emilia, Lombardy, and Piedmont regions. The meats, which include veal, chicken and COTECHINO sausage, are accompanied by a rich meat broth and a piquant green sauce.
- 1 (about 500 g) raw cotechino sausage (or use pre-cooked)*
- 1 kg boneless cured (green) bacon loin*
- 2 onions, halved
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1/4 tsp dried chili flakes
- 4 fresh bay leaves*
- 4 chicken marylands
- 500 g piece centre-cut beef fillet
- 2 carrots, halved, cut into quarters
- 4 celery stalks, each cut into 4 pieces
- Chopped mustard fruits*, to serve
- 25 g coarse white breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 6 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup (50 g) capers in brine, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- If using raw cotechino, soak in cold water for 4 hours. In a separate pan, soak bacon loin in cold water for 4 hours.
- Drain cotechino, prick skin and wrap in foil. Bring a pan of water to the boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, add sausage and cook for 21/2 hours (or 30-40 minutes for pre-cooked) or until tender and juices run clear when pierced. Turn off heat and stand in the water for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, drain bacon, then place in a 6L stockpot or flameproof casserole and cover with 3L cold water. Place over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Stud onion halves with cloves and add to pan with peppercorns, rosemary, chilli and bay leaves. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste and add more salt if necessary. Add the chicken and return to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for a further 25 minutes, skimming the surface occasionally. Add cotechino, beef, carrot and celery, return to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until beef is medium-rare and the other meats and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, for the salsa verde, place breadcrumbs in a bowl, sprinkle with vinegar, then allow to soak for 5 minutes. Place anchovies, garlic, capers and parsley on a board and chop together into a coarse paste. Stir into breadcrumb mixture with oil and a little salt. Set aside.
- Lift meats out of the broth onto a board. Carve the bacon and beef into slices. Remove the skin from the chicken and pull the meat away from the bones in large pieces. Thickly slice the cotechino.
- Arrange meats and vegetables in large soup plates. Season the stock to taste, then ladle a little onto each plate and serve with salsa verde and mustard fruits.