Bogor Laksa (Indonesian: Laksa Bogor) perhaps is the most famous Laksa variant in Indonesia from Bogor city, West Java. The thick yellowish coconut milk based soup is a mixture of shallot, garlic, kemiri (candlenut), kunyit (turmeric), ketumbar (coriander), sereh (lemongrass), and salt. Laksa Bogor has a distinct earthy and nutty flavour acquired from oncom (orange-colored fermented beans cake, similar to tempe but different fungi). The hot soup runs, drained, and filled several times into the bowl contains bihun (rice vermicelli), ketupat (glutinous rice cake), smashed oncom, tauge (bean sprout), kemangi (basil leaves), yellow tofu (colored with turmeric) and boiled egg, until all the ingredients is soft and cooked. The authentic and complete Bogor laksa would include cooked shredded chicken and ground dried prawn, the cheaper street-side version however is entirely vegetarian, without any chicken or prawn, since oncom is traditionally regarded as a meat-substitute. Usually Laksa Bogor is served with sambal cuka (ground chilli in vinegar).
BUMBU halus (spice mixture):
- a little peanut oil for frying
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp SAMBAL OELEK
- 6 kemiri nuts (CANDLENUTs) roasted and ground – alternatively: 12 macadamia nuts
- 12 CASHEW NUTs (or 12 almonds)
- 1.5 tsp CORIANDER seeds, ground
- 1.5 tsp TURMERIC, ground
- 1.5 tsp CUMIN, ground
- 10 g fresh GINGER
- 1 stalk LEMON GRASS, crushed
- 2 KAFFIR LIME leaves, torn into pieces
- 500 ml COCONUT MILK
- 200 ml water, a little vegetable or chicken stock dissolved in water
- 200 g chicken meat
- 4 peeled shrimps
- 250 gr RICE NOODLEs
- Sweet soy sauce – (KECAP MANIS)
- Bean SPROUTS
- 1 LIME
- Fried onions and spring onions
- Fry bumbu halus in oil until fragrant. Add lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves, cook for a few more minutes. Add coconut milk and water and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place rice noodles in a bowl, pour boiling water over and leave to soften.
- Boil chicken in water until cooked. Cook shrimps in the soup for about 5 minutes at the end. Drain rice noodles and arrange alongside bean sprouts in soup bowls. Add soup. Garnish with roasted onions and spring onions. Sprinkle soup with a little kecap manis and squeeze 1/4 lime over.