Notice: Undefined index: sfsi_original_counts in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-social-media-icons/libs/controllers/sfsiocns_OnPosts.php on line 45
BANH XEO (Bánh xèo) named literally “sizzling cake”, named for the loud sizzling sound it makes when the rice batter is poured into the hot skillet. BANH XEO is known as VIETNAMESE PANCAKE, SAVORY VIETNAMESE CREPE on menu in most of restaurant. It’s eaten with hands by wrapping with mustard greens, herbs. Rice flour is used for batter, but we can use wheat flour mix with rice flour for browning color as it crisps up in the wok. The FILLING can be as: SHRIMP, PRAWN, PORK meat, MUNG BEAN, prouts, ENOKI mushroom. BANH XEO is eaten with dipping fish sauce.
- 400gr rice flour (or 3 part rice flour, 1 part wheat flour)
- 250ml water plus 100ml beer (or 350ml water only)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 50ml coconut cream
- 1 tbsp thinly sliced scallion (spring onion)
- 200gr pork (belly), cooked, thinly sliced (small pieces)
- 200gr prawn meat (or small shrimps with shell)
- Onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- Enoki mushroom or palm heart (optional)
- Mung bean (skin off), cooked as package’s direction (optional)
- Cooking oil (or pork fat) for frying
- Vietnamese fresh herbs: HÚNG QUẾ, HÚNG CÂY, TÍA TÔ (PERILLA), MINT, HÚNG LỦI, DẤP CÁ, …
- MUSTARD GREENS
- DIPPING FISH SAUCE (*) see recipe below
- Prepare BATTER: In mixing bowl, use a whisk, mix all batter ingredients well.
- Heat a wok (or nonstick pan) to high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil, Immediately add a few pieces of sliced onion, pork and shrimp. Sauté, lightly mixing until very lightly browned.
- Using a laddle to pour in some batter and quickly tilt and rotate the wok, so the batter is evenly spread around the wok. Add more batter if it wasn’t enough to cover the wok.
- Turn down heat to medium, put some veggies (sprouts, mushroom), mung beans on top, cover with lid as need, let the pancake cooked well and crispy. Fold in half, Transfer to serving plate and serve immediately with condiments (Fresh herbs, mustard greens, dipping fish sauce).
(*) DIPPING FISH SAUCE:
- 100ml fish sauce
- 100gr sugar
- 200ml water
- 70ml lime juice (or organic vinegar)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 2nos hot chile, finely chopped
- Carrot, white radish (DAIKON) cut into julienne
In a bowl, disolve the sugar in water, add all remaining dipping ingredients, mix well.
For more information, download App. FOOD and BEVERAGE DICTIONARY on Google play store for Android devices.