BÁNH CANH TRẢNG BÀNG is a kind of pork noodle soup and “Trảng Bàng dew-wetted rice paper” (Vietnamese: Bánh tráng phơi sương Trảng Bàng), served with boiled pork, local herbs and Vietnamese fish sauce.
- 3kg pork bones
- 1kg chicken bones
- 3kg pork trotter, deboned, trussed (PIG’S FEET)
- 100gr dried SHRIMP
- 50gr dried SQUID, toaste
- 500gr JICAMA, peeled, cut MIREPOIX
- 2nos ONON (halved, toasted)
- 200gr SHALLOT (toasted)
- 500gr CARROT, peeled, cut MIREPOIX
- 500gr DAIKON, peeled, cut MIREPOIX
- 1kg pork-blood, cooked, cubes (optional)
- carrot, daikon: peeled, cut cubes as you like (optional)
- fried SHALLOT
- 300gr SCALLION, sliced
- 200gr NGO GAI, sliced
- cooked boneless pork trotter, sliced (as cooking above)
- 4kg BÁNH CANH (Trảng Bàng) noodle (homemade: see recipe: BANH CANH)
- SALT, PEPPER, FISH SAUCE, MEAT BOOSTER, MSG, ROCK SUGAR, COOKING OIL.
- CONDIMENTS: BÁNH TRÁNG PHƠI SƯƠNG, RAU GHÉM
Prepare meat: seasoning pork trotter with salt, pepper and some meat booster. Roll and truss with butcher’s string, set aside about 10-20 minutes.
- Prepare soup: In a stock pot, add the bones and fill with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. You will see the impurities rise to the top. Dump out the pot and rinse the bones well under warm water to clean all the impurities. Place the bones back to a large stock pot filled with 8 liters water. Add onion, carrot, daikon, jicama, dried shrimps, toasted dried-squid, peppercorn and along with pork trotter. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium heat for 2hours or more, occasionally skim off the scum. Remove pork trotter when they are done (cooked, tender), put them in cold water to prevent color changed. Strain the stock to another stock pot. Discard the solid. add in veggies (optional), pork blood, bring to a boil, and simmer until veggies cooked.
Note: If you want more veggies in soup, you can add cut carrot, daikon, straw mushroom to the soup and cook until they are soft (just cooked). You can put some scallion (white parts), fried shallots for flavoring.
- For serve: Slied the trotters, keep warm. Blanch the BÁNH CANH noodle in boiling water (It is better if you using soup base instead of), then put in serving bowl, arange slied meat on top. Ladle soup (with contains) to cover, garnishing with fried shallot, sliced herbs and cracked peppercorns. And serve with condiments, side dishes (BÁNH TRÁNG PHƠI SƯƠNG, RAU GHÉM, FISH SAUCE, sliced meat-cooked pork trotter).