Literally “rice with chicken” this Spanish and Mexican dish is made with rice, chicken, tomatoes, green peppers, seasonings and, sometimes, saffron.
- 2-3 pounds chicken breasts and thighs
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered, plus ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup homemade or canned low-sodium chicken broth (240 ml)
- 1 cup beer (240 ml) (such as lager – I used Yuengling)
- 3 tablespoons Delicioso Adobo (20 g) (recipe below)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (45 ml)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (16 g)
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 cups uncooked white rice (370 g)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas (120 g)
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 8 ounces green beans (240 g), trimmed and quartered
- 1 cup ketchup (240 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (42 g)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed olives (230 g)
DELICIOSO ADOBO (yields: 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (15ml)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder or flakes (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes (15 ml)
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground paprika (7 ml)
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground turmeric (7 ml)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin (7 ml)
- 1 tablespoon salt (15 ml)
- First make the Delicioso Adobo. Combine all ingredients in a small mason jar, and shake to combine. The mixture can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.
- Add the chicken pieces, quartered onion, 1 cup chicken broth, beer, 3 tablespoons Delicioso Adobo, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, and garlic in a large saute pan or Dutch oven over high heat.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer until the chicken is fully cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces and set aside to cool. Strain the broth mixture through a fine-mesh sieve a large measuring cup (at least 4 cups) and discard the onion pieces.
- Add water to the broth mixture to make 4 cups of liquid. Return the mixture back to the pot and add the rice, peas, carrots, green beans, ketchup, and salt.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook until the rice is tender and fully cooked, about 25 minutes.
- While waiting for the rice to cook, melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the peppers and sliced onion. Cook for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Shred the cooked chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones.
- Add the chicken to the vegetables. Cook until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and add the chicken and vegetables to the rice mixture.
- Stir in olives, stir in remaining cilantro, and serve.